Sunday, October 24, 2010

Blog # 6: Trunk Show


What exactly is (or was) a trunk show?
A special sale in which vendors present merchandise directly to store personnel or select customers at a retail location or unique venue. It allows store personnel to preview and purchase the merchandise before it is made available to the public.
The key to scoring an invite to a trunk show? Spend a lot of money. The traditional trunk show is invititation only to the most "worthy" customers. But [perhaps because of the economic situation] this is no longer the case. As I signed on to Barney.com I was prompted with a request that read "join the list." I contemplated typing my personal information into the numerous empty boxes. After about 20 seconds I figured, why not(as if 2 daily emails from barneys isnt enough, not to mention Saks and Bloomingdales twice a day too) I wondered, what is this list. Well actually, you no longer have to be an avid spender to attend a trunk show. After giving my oh-so-precious information to Barneys New York I found that this little bit of effort has scored me access to the list of trunk shows available in the various locations!
Moving even farther away from the standard trunk show, trunk shows have recently become available online. They are no longer exclusive, nor do you have to go to the brick and mortar store. You can now preview a designer's collection from the comfort and convenience of your home.
Here's an example of a trunk show available to anyone and everyone online!

No comments:

Post a Comment